Is it true?
Get to know me a little bit better. Here are some questions to get you started.
- Is it true that you work with babies, preschoolers and their families? Yes! I am a Parents As Teachers educator at the Ann Arbor Public Schools. It’s the best job: I play, read stories, sing songs and share developmental information.
- Is it true that your first “paid writing” gig was with the Grand Rapids (Michigan) Press? Yes! I went down the path of journalism for a while, as the editor of The Northview News, my high school paper, as well as as a free-lancer for The Grand Rapids Press & The Rockford Register. But my passion is picture books. I seem to be specializing in “plotless mood pieces, in verse.” So very marketable.
- Is it true that you love mustard? No! And what kind of question is that anyway? No, no, triple no. As my little pal Russell said, “Mustard is gross for me.”
- Is it true you were an elementary school teacher? Yes! I expecially loved teaching writing & reading. I wanted to share my passion for stories. I hope I’ve passed that along to my students. An end-of-day favorite was reading aloud from favorites my teachers read to me, including The Secret Garden, A Wrinkle in Time, The Phantom Tollbooth, and Island of the Blue Dolphins. I couln’t make it to the end of Sadako & the 1000 Paper Cranes. One of my 3rd graders had to finish it while I went through half a box of tissues.
- Is it true that you burp a lot after drinking too much soda? Well! Some questions are just too personal to answer!